Good interior design can really make your house shine. It can show off your personality, wow your guests, and make your home both more relaxing and more functional for your needs. However, if you’re going to list your home in real estate listings in Quebec City, you may want to refrain from making any dramatic changes. That’s especially true if your interior design modifications are meant to suit your needs. Remember that your changes may not match the needs of your potential homebuyers.
Here are some things that you really should refrain from doing:
- Putting up graphic wallpaper. Yes, they can add an exciting look to a room. But at the same time it matches your preference, and that may not match the preference of potential buyers. You rarely will have the same tastes in wallpaper, and having one can turn off a buyer. Removing that wallpaper is going to take a lot of time, and lots of homebuyers don’t like to contemplate such a bothersome task.
- Painting your wall an “exciting” color. Again, the same reason applies here. Other homebuyers may not be as excited by the color you’ve chosen. They may even think it’s ugly, and that’s an adjective they may unconsciously apply to the rest of your home. Repainting can then be another task that they may not want to look forward too.
- Lots of metallic silver and gold. Putting in gold accents in your home was a big deal a few years ago, but it’s an aesthetic choice that doesn’t really appeal to many people especially in Quebec City. It’s just seems so outdated, as if it belongs to a time when people still avidly gawked at the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.
- Installing eye-catching light fixtures. Yes, it’s important for potential buyers to find your rooms bright and airy. You don’t want it dimly lit. At the same time, you need to keep in mind that your light fixtures are there to help show off your home. They shouldn’t steal the spotlight from how the rooms really look. That’s why you really don’t want overly ornamental or ultra-modern light fixtures. They’re just distracting.
- Putting in carpets on your floors. Most experienced real estate agents will tell you that most people who want to buy a home go for hardwood floors. That’s why you may want to ignore a decorator’s tip to use carpets when in the near future you’re going to sell your home anyway. Even if you do use carpets, you need to take them off before people come in for a viewing.
A lot of potential buyers may not like your choice of carpet color or pattern. They may also regard carpets as breeding grounds for germs and bad odors. Many also know that it can be expensive and time-consuming to take care of these carpets properly, and they don’t really relish the prospect of removing the carpet themselves. If they do want carpets, they’ll probably just add some themselves.
The most important rule you must understand when you show off your home to buyers is that you must help them imagine themselves living in your home. That’s why you need to remove all the singular individualistic interior design touches you’ve made to make it a great home for you. If you’re going to put up your home on real estate listings in Quebec City, you need to keep it looking neutral, so that they can imagine more easily how they would change the house into their home.