It’s dark, it’s damp and there’s hardly any air movement. If you’re a mould, you’re thinking, “Sounds like my kind of place!” This is the kind of environment moulds thrive in and all too often, it’s exactly what a garage is like.
Some garage owners are lucky, in that their garages are built from materials that mould doesn’t like to grow on. Walls that are made from pre-coated aluminium, or from vinyl, are excellent at preventing fungus growth. In fact man-made materials tend to be better than wood at preventing mould.
Mould can cause illness
Mould is seriously bad for you – the NHS states that it can cause allergic reactions such as rashes, as well as respiratory problems, including asthma attacks. If your garage is not built of mould-resistant materials, and you are seeing spots and clumps of dark mould, you need to do two things.
The first is to increase the airflow through the space by opening any doors or windows regularly. You also need to take as much moisture out of the air as possible. It may be a good idea to use an air dehumidifier regularly.
The second step is to check the garage to find out where the dampness is coming from. If the garage is attached to the house, it may have pipes running through it, above or below ground, that are leaking. A lot of mould problems are caused by condensation. Because air circulation is important, it’s better to have garage racking for storage (https://www.garage-shelving.co.uk), as it can allow air to pass behind and in front of objects.
There are various anti-mould paints and treatments that can be used, once you have tackled the root cause of the problem. It’s a good idea to wear a mask when removing mould, or brushing over it, because mould spores will be released into the air. There are anti-fungal treatments that can be painted directly onto the black spots, but be aware that these are fairly expensive, as they contain an active fungicide. Some have to be used solely as a pre-treatment, with any paint coverings applied later.
If you decide you want to remove the mould completely first, then there are mould removers that can be applied by sponge, but again, remember to use appropriate protective equipment.